Thursday, September 16, 2010

Black Bean & Corn Quesadillas



I have been making these since my vegetarian days! So, now that I am no longer a vegetarian, I will dedicate this post to my little sister Cali, who is ;) However, this is still one of my favorite's to make! I still like to incorporate vegetarian meals a few nights a week. It saves money on the grocery bill and as we don't normally eat pork or red meat, it breaks up the monotony! My entire family love these, they love southwestern type foods of any kind really, as you can see in my last post with my tortilla soup ;) This recipe is full of fiber, protein and loaded with veggies! Plus some good carbs with those whole wheat tortillas ;)

Ingredients

  • Whole wheat tortillas

  • One can unsalted black beans

  • 1/2 bag frozen corn

  • 1-2 tbs olive oil

  • 1/2 medium sweet yellow onion diced

  • 1/2 red bell pepper diced

  • 1 garlic clove minced

  • 1 tbs brown sugar (or one packet of stevia or any sugar substitute)

  • 1/3 cup salsa

  • 1 tsp chili flakes

  • 1-2 tsp cumin

  • sea salt and pepper to taste

  • 1 cup reduced fat monetary jack or cheddar cheese

  • cilantro

  • reduced fat or fat free sour cream

  • homemade guacamole


Heat a skillet to med heat and saute the onions, garlic and bell pepper until softened. Add the black beans and corn and heat through. Add brown sugar, salsa, chili flakes, salt and pepper and cumin and allow the mixture to thicken a bit and then remove from heat. Heat another skillet (or heat your quesadilla press) and scoop several heaping spoon fulls onto one wheat tortilla, sprinkle with cheese and cilantro and cover with another wheat tortilla. Heat until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are a bit crisp, you will need to flip halfway through. Serve with salsa, sour cream and/or guacamole. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment