Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Double Chocolate "Cupcake Muffins"

Ok so, I actually don't know whether to call these muffins or cupcakes? They taste and smell like cupcakes, but have no frosting...either way, they are absolutely divine! I love sweets, I mean, I really love sweets! I love finding ways of curing my sweet tooth, while also getting something out of it! This is really hard to do, but these bad boys do just that! They are moist, chocolaty and honestly taste sinful! I felt guilty eating one today, but remembered that I didn't have to! I really hope you will take the time to make these, they are great for breakfast, dessert or as an afterschool snack. My kiddos got these as their treat after their dentist visit this afternoon, where they had a perfect check up ;) so proud! My kiddos can't tell the difference and absolutely loved these "cupcake muffins" so did James, who is my picky eater & toughest critic!

Ingredients

  • 1 3/4 cup of oats (blended in food processor or blender, it will resemble flour when finished)



  • 3 egg whites



  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa



  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce



  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract



  • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)



  • 1 1/2 cream of tartar (or 1 1/2 tbs. vinegar)



  • 1 1/2 baking soda



  • 1 1/2 baking powder



  • 1/4 tsp salt



  • 1 cup water



  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I actually used dark chocolate because it is what I prefer and for the antioxident boost, but use what you like! White choclate chips would be good too! Or even peanut butter chips, my son is allergic, but this would be a yummy alternative!)



  • 1 cup sugar substitute (I use splenda granulated, it measures cup for cup of sugar)



  • Foil cupcake liners (I take the paper out, they will not stick if you do this)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients, reserving half of the chocolate chips, until well blended. Line 2, 12 cup muffin tins (makes 24 in all) with foil liners, fill 1/2 of the way full. Bake for 10 minutes, remove and sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top of muffins (this takes the place of the frosting!) and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (remember there are chocolate chips inside too, so it may not be "clean", look for batter not chocolate). Allow the "cupcake muffins" to cool completely, and enjoy!!!

The best part, THEY ARE ONLY 85 CALORIES EACH!! YAY!!

The worst part, finding empty cupcake liners scattered around my house ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment